Castlewood, U.S. Route 25, Richmond, Madison County, KY
See 16 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
U.S. Route 25, Richmond vicinity, KY
Find maps of Richmond, KY
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KY-20-17
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-17).
Building/structure dates: 1825 initial construction
Significance: Castlewood remains today practically as it was built. Very few changes have been made. The plan and exterior are typical of the Colonial Georgian style in Kentucky, having a center hall flanked by rooms on each side, and with a smaller wing on either side. The kitchen and servants' quarters are a separate structure close to , but detached from, the main house, a feature typical of homes built in Kentucky in the early part of the nineteenth century...
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Front and side (southwest). February 7, 1934. Photo by Theodore Webb.
2. Rear view showing kitchen building (from northeast).
3. Detail of mantle (Room No. 1) Front Parlor.
4. Detail of mantle (Room No. 4) Rear Parlor.
5. Detail of mantle (Room No. 2).
Back to Richmond vicinity, Kentucky