Big Four Bridge, Spanning Ohio River, Louisville, Jefferson County, KY
See 27 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Ohio River, Louisville, KY
Find maps of Louisville, KY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER KY-10
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Significance: The Big Four Bridge as it exists today consists of six spans, three Baltimore truss spans and three Parker through trusses. There are two approach spans on the south and one on the north end of the bridge. The bridge carried the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad over the Ohio River between Louisville and Jeffersonville, Indiana. Piers supporting the approach spans are of concrete, those in the center are masonry. Connections are riveted. The Big Four Bridge was built in 1929 by the Louisville & Jeffersonville Bridge Co. on the piers of an earlier bridge. The central spans are 547' long. The Big Four Bridge was abandoned following the merger that formed the Penn Central Railroad.
Louisville & Jefferson Bridge Company
Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railro
Penn Central Railroad
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General elevation of the Big Four Bridge from the southwest.
2. General view from the southeast.
3. General view of the bridge from the northeast.
4. View from the south showing the bridge deck from below, and masonry piers.
5. View from the north showing concrete piers on land, and masonry piers supporting the center spans.
6. Detail view of north approach span of the bridge. The final span is no longer in place.
7. Detail of masonry pier supporting northern approach span and northern center span.
8. General view of northern approach span.
9. General view of southern approach span.
10. Detail view of masonry piers supporting the central span.
11. Detail view of masonry piers supporting the spans in the center of the bridge.
12. Detail view of north end of the bridge showing date '1928' in concrete pier.
13. Detail view showing riveted connections of trusses.
Back to Louisville, Kentucky