Wichita Fire Department Engine House No. 9, 4700 East Kellog Street (Highway 54), Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS
4700 East Kellog Street (Highway 54), Wichita, KS
Find maps of Wichita, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-72
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Significance: Erected in 1942, the building reflects the Art Deco influence prominent nationally from 1925 to 1945. The station was built on a corner lot, and includes numerous projecting curved bays. Its modern streamline appearance and its emphasis of horizontal line are achieved through the use of string and belt courses, curved angles, recessed second-story and vertical columns of diffused window panes. The building is one of many local examples designed by the prominent architectural firm of Overend and Boucher. The fire station played an important part in the development of southeast Wichita; included in its service area were three wartime government housing communities that were contained 6,000 residential units which were home for more than 25,000 people.
Wendel, P. M.
Overend, Harrison George
Boucher, Cecil Francis
Dondlinger & Sons
Moore-Robertson Plumbing & Heating Company
Wolford, Ric, Photographer
White, Sheryll L., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Wichita, Kansas