Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Kansas > Nicodemus > Old First Baptist Church, Fourth & Washington Streets, Nicodemus, Graham County, KS



B&W Photos
View Of South Side
HB479330
View Of South Side
View Of South And East Sides
HB479331
View Of South And East Sides
View East And South Sides
HB479332
View East And South Sides
View Of East And North Sides
HB479333
View Of East And North Sides
View Of South Side And West Front
HB479334
View Of South Side And West Front
View Of Congregation Room To North Toward Alter
HB479335
View Of Congregation Room To North Toward Alter
View Of Congregation Room To South From Alter
HB479336
View Of Congregation Room To South From Alter
Historic View (photocopy Of Historic Photograph)
HB479337
Historic View (photocopy Of Historic Photograph)


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Fourth & Washington Streets, Nicodemus, KS

Find maps of Nicodemus, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-49-K
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-6).
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1949 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
See HABS No. KS-49 for list of structures that are contributing to the historic district & fieldnotes.

Significance: The first church congregation organized in 1878 on the town site; the first congregation to build a church edifice of sod blocks. One of the few sites within the village proper which illustrates the evolution of building types from dugout, sod structure, limestone structure with gable roofs and eventually stuccoed, to new brick sanctuary built in 1975. (All sanctuaries built by ex-slaves and/or local residents.) The largest and most enduring congregation existing on the town site since 1878. Congregation still utilizing the 1907 church building as a fellowship hall. Excluding the 1939 Township Hall, the 1907 church structure is the largest single building on town site.

Subjects
Religious Services
African Americans
Baptist Churches


Related Names
Alexander, Andrew
Harness & Ellis, Kansas
Hamilton, Kenneth M., Field Team
Parr, Ruth K., Field Team
Prucha, Marion L., Field Team
McNamara, Richard W., Field Team
Fraser, Clayton B., Photographer
Belleau, William J., Photographer
Fly, La Barbara Wigfall, Historian
Fly, Everett L., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF SOUTH SIDE. VIEW TO NORTH
2. VIEW OF SOUTH AND EAST SIDES. VIEW TO NORTHWEST
3. VIEW EAST AND SOUTH SIDES. VIEW TO NORTHWEST
4. VIEW OF EAST AND NORTH SIDES. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST
5. VIEW OF SOUTH SIDE AND WEST FRONT. VIEW TO NORTHEAST
6. VIEW OF CONGREGATION ROOM TO NORTH TOWARD ALTER
7. VIEW OF CONGREGATION ROOM TO SOUTH FROM ALTER
8. HISTORIC VIEW (Photocopy of Historic Photograph)


Back to Nicodemus, Kansas