Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Kansas

>

Nicodemus

>

Fletcher-Switzer House, Washington & Second Streets, Nicodemus, Graham County, KS



B&W Photos

HB479201

HB479202

HB479203

HB479204

HB479205


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Washington & Second Streets, Nicodemus, KS

Find maps of Nicodemus, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-49-G
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-6).
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1921 subsequent work
See HABS No. KS-49 for list of structures that are contributing to the historic district & fieldnotes.

Significance: The Fletcher-Switzer site was an important focus of activity on the Nicodemus town-site. The existing house and outbuildings are remnants of a complex with historic origins and functions. The house is one of the few remaining examples of early residential architecture left on the town-site. The first owner of the site was Z.T. Fletcher who was secretary of the colony which arrived in Nicodemus in July 1877. He and his wife lived in a dugout on the northwest corner of Block 12; Lot 12. There he opened a post office and she ran a school. In 1880, Fletcher built the St. Francis Hotel on Lot 10 and a livery stable on Lots 13 and 14. A limestone structure was eventually built around the dugout where they continued the post office until 1886 and ran an emporium while living in a residence on Block 14. After rail service failed to materialize, he sold his town lots to the original promoter, W.R. Hill, but continued to run the businesses. The site reverted to Graham County for a time but was bought back into the family in the 1920's by Fred Switzer, a great nephew raised by the Fletchers. When Switzer married Ora Wellington in 1921 they made the hotel their home. He farmed in the township and she ran a restaurant in the residence and later rented out the bunk house.

Subjects
Hotels
Houses
Domestic Life


Related Names
Fletcher, Z. T.
Switzer, Fred
Switzer, Ora
St. Francis Hotel
Fly, La Barbara Wigfall, Field Team
Hamilton, Kenneth M., Field Team
Prucha, Marion L., Field Team
Van Dyke, Bettina C., Field Team
Fraser, Clayton B., Photographer
McNamara, Richard W., Delineator
Parr, Ruth K., Delineator
Fly, Everett L., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF NORTH FRONT. VIEW TO SOUTH
2. VIEW OF NORTH FRONT AND WEST SIDE. VIEW TO SOUTHEAST
3. VIEW OF SOUTH AND WEST SIDES. VIEW TO NORTHEAST
4. VIEW OF SOUTH AND EAST SIDES. VIEW TO NORTHWEST
5. VIEW OF NORTH FRONT AND EAST SIDE. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST


Back to Nicodemus, Kansas