The Woman's Club, 900 Poyntz, Manhattan, Riley County, KS
See 23 maps of this location
900 Poyntz, Manhattan, KS
Find maps of Manhattan, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-68
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N138).
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
Significance: The Manhattan Chapter of the American Woman's League held its first meeting August 30, 1909 at the Riley County Courthouse. In its constitution the group stated that its purpose was to associate the woman of Manhattan in intellectual, cultural, and civic activities. The most immediate concern of the local group, and in fact the catalyst that led to organization of the chapter, was the donation of a completely furnished chapter house to be constructed on a lot provided by the local group. The club house was to be the gift of the E.G. Lewis Publishing Company. This donation was the basis of a business promotion of the Lewis Company which capitalized on widespread popular interest in organizations for women devoted to charitable causes. The company offered membership Woman's League. Local chapters were required to secure 50-75 members; each member was then to solicit subscriptions worth at least $52.00 for some of the publications offered by the Lewis Publishing Company.
E.G. Lewis Publishing Company
American Women's League
Helfensteller, Hirsch, & Watson
Littrell, Robert C.
Bottorff, John W., Delineator
Burgess, Richard E., Delineator
Helgoth, Eric T., Delineator
Lowenstein, Amy M., Delineator
Yoder, Jerry, Delineator
Chin, Kam, Delineator
Smalligan, Rod, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Manhattan, Kansas