Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Kansas

>

Lecompton

>

Constitution Hall, 315 Elmore Street, Lecompton, Douglas County, KS



See 31 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB479861

HB479862

HB479863

HB479864

HB479865

HB479866

HB479867

HB479868

HB479869

HB479870

HB479871

HB479872

HB479873

HB479874

HB479875

HB479876

HB479877

HB479878

HB479879

HB479880

HB479881

HB479882

HB479883

HB479884

HB479885


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Constitution Hall, 315 Elmore Street, Lecompton, Douglas County, KS

Location
315 Elmore Street, Lecompton, KS

Find maps of Lecompton, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-64
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N117).
Building/structure dates: 1856 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1856 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1991 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1906 subsequent work
National Register Number: 71000312
0.1993
Significance: Constitution Hall was built in 1856, probably by Samuel Jones, sheriff of Douglas County and a notorious proslavery champion. It was a commercial venture designed to house a variety of governmental functions in the newly established capital of the Kansas Territory, Lecompton. A federal land office occupied most of the ground floor. The meeting room upstairs hosted the organizational convention of the Territorial National Democratic Party, a session of the proslavery territorial assembly, both sessions of the Lecompton Constitutional Convention, several sessions of the district and supreme courts, and the first session of the territorial assembly after it came under the control of the antislavery forces. In subsequent years, the building served many functions, from college dormitory to public meeting hall and lodge hall for fraternal organizations. Soon after completion of the original 25' x 34' building, a two story addition was added to the rear, possibly in 1856, extending the building to 25' x 50'. Historical photographs indicate that the building has undergone minor changes through the years; several different entry porches were constructed, exterior stairs to the second floor were added and later removed, a window above the entry door on the east face was removed, and all the windows were replaced around 1906. Constitution Hall became a National Historic Landmark in 1975, and is currently undergoing restoration by the Kansas State Historical Society. During 1991, a major stabilization program was begun. Chimneys and interior finishes were removed to expose the framing. The building was lifted 18" to allow repair of the foundation, sills, floor framing, and first floor studs.

Subjects
Fraternal Organizations
Municipal Government
Slavery


Related Names
Kansas State Historical Society
Jones, Samuel
Worrall, Henry
Brunner, Kurt A., Field Team
Watts, Dale, Field Team
Haase-Divine, David W., Delineator
Harrington, Steven W., Delineator
Schmitz, Edward T., Delineator
Winslow, Keri J., Delineator
Zabilka, Eric J., Photographer
Zabilka, Eric J., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. EXTERIOR PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF THE SOUTHEAST CORNER
2. EXTERIOR VIEW OF SOUTH ELEVATION
3. EXTERIOR VIEW OF WEST ELEVATION
4. EXTERIOR VIEW OF NORTH ELEVATION
5. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND OFFICE, EAST ELEVATION, NORTH END
6. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND OFFICE, EAST ELEVATION, SOUTH END
7. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND OFFICE, EAST ELEVATION, ENTRY DOOR
8. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND OFFICE, NORTH ELEVATION
9. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND OFFICE, SOUTH ELEVATION
10. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE, SOUTH ELEVATION
11. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE, SOUTH ELEVATION
12. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAWYER'S OFFICE, SOUTH ELEVATION
13. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAWYER'S OFFICE, SOUTH ELEVATION
14. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAWYER'S OFFICE, WEST ELEVATION
15. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAWYER'S OFFICE, WEST ELEVATION
16. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE LAND COURT, WEST ELEVATION
17. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS IN THE ATTIC, EAST ELEVATION, NORTH HALF
18. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS IN THE ATTIC, EAST ELEVATION, SOUTH HALF
19. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, EAST ELEVATION
20. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, EAST ELEVATION
21. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, SOUTH ELEVATION, EAST END
22. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, SOUTH ELEVATION
23. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, SOUTH ELEVATION
24. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE COURTROOM, SOUTH ELEVATION, WEST END
25. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRAMING DETAILS OF THE ANTEROOM, SOUTH ELEVATION


Back to Lecompton, Kansas