Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Leavenworth

>

National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers Western Branch, U.S. Highway 73, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS



See 26 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB478949
BWPhotos 209610

HB478950
BWPhotos 209611

HB478951
BWPhotos 209612

HB478952
BWPhotos 209613

HB478953
BWPhotos 209614

HB478954
BWPhotos 209615

HB478955
BWPhotos 209616

HB478956
BWPhotos 209617

HB478957
BWPhotos 209618

HB478958
BWPhotos 209619

HB478959
BWPhotos 209620

HB478960
BWPhotos 209621

HB478961
BWPhotos 209622

HB478962
BWPhotos 209623

HB478963
BWPhotos 209624

HB478964
BWPhotos 209625

HB478965
BWPhotos 209626

HB478966
BWPhotos 209627


Item Title
BWPhotos 209627

Location
U.S. Highway 73, Leavenworth, KS

Find maps of Leavenworth, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-55
Building/structure dates: 1885 initial construction
Significance: The former Western Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was founded in 1885. It was the fifth in a a series of 11 branch institutions established between 1867 and 1929. The institutions are considered to be the earliest and most extensive examples of federal government-sponsored and of non-religious planned communities in the country. The scope of training, education, and readjustment activities offered at the Homes are thought to be the earliest federal venture into large scale rehabilitation programs.The Western Branch Home, now the Department of Veterans Affairs Dwight D. Eisenhower Medical Center (DDE/VAMC) has continuously provided residential and medical care for veterans since 1886. The facility embodies the comprehensive federal policies and concepts of health and rehabilitative care provided in a planned community as they originated after the Civil War and evolved into the first half of the twentieth century. The Western Branch has excellent examples of building and landscape architecture, most notably its fine groups Georgian Revival, late Gothic Revival, and Queen Anne style buildings, surrounded by a park- and campus-like setting.The 213.97-acre site is characterized by rolling terrain, tree-dotted lawns, a man-made lake, and curving roads overlooking the Missouri River. The historic buildings constructed between 1885 and the early 1940s are mostly well-designed and crafted examples of popular period Victorian revival styles executed in brick and stone, with a few wood-frame examples. The work of a notable local architect and builder are represented, as well as that of a nationally important landscape architect. The original planning concept combined civilian and military influences in a planned rehabilitative community. The evolution of the Home into a major regional Veterans Administration medical center in the 1930s is reflected in the building scale and siting.

Subjects
Medicine
Health Care
Brick Buildings


Related Names
Eisenhower, Dwight D.
Department Of Veterans Affairs
Curtiss, Louis Singleton
Cleveland, Horace William Shaler.
McGonigle, James A.
Neely, Mayor. S. F.
Brewster, Robert, Photographer
Adams, Virginia H., Historian
Cavanaugh, Maureen A., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Leavenworth, Kansas