Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Leavenworth

>

Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 6, 624 Scott Avenue, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS



See 26 maps of this location


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
624 Scott Avenue, Leavenworth, KS

Find maps of Leavenworth, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-53-H
Building/structure dates: 1883 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1916 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000346
Significance: Building #6 was erected as a residence for an officer on the staff of the Army of the Missouri, like building #7, (1868) next door. It is probable that building #6 remained a residence of Department of the Missouri officers until the Department was moved to St. Louis, Missouri in 1890. By the early twentieth century, the quarters became a residence for officers associated with the newly revitalized Army Service School. In addition, the erection of Building #6 on Scott Avenue suggests an interest in developing Scott Avenue as the residential street for the highest ranking officers. The location on the east side of Scott Avenue, with one elevation over-looking the Missouri River and another facing a park, demonstrates a conscious effort of physical planning for that period. Architecturally, Building #6 is an original composition. The most apparent influences are Queen Anne, Eastlake, Georgian and vernacular. The porch is the most notable feature of the house, the two story veranda having had a long history at Fort Leavenworth, first appearing in the late 1830's on the Post Commander's House (Building #17).

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Officers' Quarters
Domestic Life


Related Names
Army Of The Missouri
Bell, Maj. George
Hunt, Judith E., Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Struble, Kristie D., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Leavenworth, Kansas