Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Leavenworth

>

Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 5, 611 Scott Avenue, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS



See 26 maps of this location


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
611 Scott Avenue, Leavenworth, KS

Find maps of Leavenworth, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-53-C
Building/structure dates: 1841 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1857 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1870 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000346
Significance: Building #5 is one of five existing quarters that date from the antebellum period of Fort Leavenworth. Built by Hiram Rich, the post sutler from 1842 to 1862, sections of the original log house are reputed to exist within the two and a half story clapboard building. While Fort Leavenworth was the temporary first capital of the Kansas territory in 1854, the recently appointed Governor Reeder took his meals at the sutler's house. After the death of Hiram Rich in 1862, the house was purchased by the War Department, as a residence for the depot quartermaster. However, after the transfer of the Headquarters of the Missouri to Fort Leavenworth, the quarters became the residence of the Commander of the Department. Many notable military officers, including Generals John Schofield, Winfield Hancock, Philip Sheridan and John Pope lived in Building #5. The quarters were the residences of the Post Commander from 1904 to 1912 and today serves as the exclusive residence of major generals and their families.

Subjects
Houses
Log Buildings
Wooden Buildings


Related Names
Rich, Hiram
Schofield, Gen. John
Hancock, Gen. Winfield
Sheridan, Gen. Philip
Pope, Gen. John
Struble, Kristie D., Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Hunt, Judith E., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Leavenworth, Kansas