Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 37, 630-632 Thomas Avenue, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS
See 26 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
630-632 Thomas Avenue, Leavenworth, KS
Find maps of Leavenworth, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-53-O
Building/structure dates: 1889 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000346
Significance: Building #37 is one of a few quarters illustrating the residential development of the West End Parade ground in the late 1880's. The West End Parade after the establishment of the Infantry and Calvary School was used for drills and exercises of troops by student officers. The establishment of the school necessitated additional housing. In order to build additional quarters, the Army requested money from Congress, the full appropriation requested in 1888, was not approved but enough was allocated to erect some buildings, including five officers quarters along Thomas Avenue. The two double and three single quarters were sited on the east side, of the west parade ground. Architecturally, Building #37 illustrates the transition from the irregular massing and compartmental plan of late nineteenth century design to a more controlled and unified composition. The interior of the residence shows the early development of open planning and the combination of living room and stairhall, both characteristics of the so-called Shingle Style.
Carr, E. T.
Hunt, Judith E., Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Struble, Kristie D., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION FROM NORTHWEST, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
2. DETAIL, WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION GABLES, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
3. SOUTH & WEST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
4. SOUTHERN JERKINSHEAD AND BAY WINDOW DETAIL, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
5. SOUTH & EAST (REAR) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
6. EAST (REAR) AND NORTH ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
7. MAIN STAIRS, WEST ROOM WITH MANTLE, LOOKING NORTH.
8. ENTRYWAY WITH GLASS DOORS, LIVING ROOM MANTLE IN BACKGROUND, LOOKING EAST.
9. DINING ROOM, LOOKING SOUTH, BUN WARMER AT LEFT.
10. 2ND FLOOR LANDING, STAIRWAY NEWEL POST, BEDROOMS IN BACKGROUND, LOOKING WEST-NORTHWEST.
Back to Leavenworth, Kansas