Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Leavenworth

>

Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 184, 629-631 Grant Avenue, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS



B&W Photos

HB477940
Looking Southwest, With Grant Statue And Northeast (front) Elevation.

HB477941
Northeast (front) Elevation, Looking Southwest.

HB477942
Southwest (rear) Elevation, Looking Northeast.

HB477943
South Corner, Showing Southwest And Southeast Elevations, Looking North.

HB477944
Southeast Elevation, Looking Northwest.

HB477945
Main Entry And Stairway Of 629 Grant Ave., Looking South.

HB477946
Dining Room And Living Room Of 629 Grant Ave., With Mantels And Molding, Looking North.


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
629-631 Grant Avenue, Leavenworth, KS

Find maps of Leavenworth, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-53-L
Building/structure dates: 1901 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000346
Significance: The importance of the Grant Avenue quarters derives from the original architectural design and from the association with the Command School at the turn of the twentieth century. The individual architectural details of the Grant Avenue quarters can be attributed to styles of American residential design. But the comprehensive design does not represent any single style. Rather, it is a synthesis of many elements. The most apparent influences are American Georgian and Romanesque as seen in such details as the front two and a half story gable projection, gable dormers, and paired arch windows. These are familiar architectural elements that would produce ordinary houses but for the original association of these diverse stylistic features within the context of a formal design on a massive scale. The result is the simultaneous fusion of familiar and traditional elements and original architectural design. The quarters were built shortly after the reorganization and expansion of the Command School at Fort Leavenworth. The changes that occurred at the School were in response to weaknesses in military instruction brought to light in the Spanish-American War in 1898. The revitalization of the School necessitated additional housing for officers attending the school and money was allocated for the erection of the Grant Avenue quarters.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Officers' Quarters
Domestic Life


Related Names
Hunt, Judith E., Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Struble, Kristie D., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. LOOKING SOUTHWEST, WITH GRANT STATUE AND NORTHEAST (FRONT) ELEVATION.
2. NORTHEAST (FRONT) ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
3. SOUTHWEST (REAR) ELEVATION, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
4. SOUTH CORNER, SHOWING SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTH.
5. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
6. MAIN ENTRY AND STAIRWAY OF 629 GRANT AVE., LOOKING SOUTH.
7. DINING ROOM AND LIVING ROOM OF 629 GRANT AVE., WITH MANTELS AND MOLDING, LOOKING NORTH.


Back to Leavenworth, Kansas