Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 17, 20-22 Sumner Place, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS
Photo Caption Pages
20-22 Sumner Place, Leavenworth, KS
Find maps of Leavenworth, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-53-N
Building/structure dates: 1838 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1855 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1881 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1905 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000346
Significance: The former Post Commander's Residence possesses considerable significance both historically and architecturally. It symbolizes the connection of the post in the 1830's and 1840's with the First Dragoons (Cavalry) Regiment, one of the leading forces used by the U.S. Army to explore routes west, keep peace among Indian tribes, and protect settlers. It also was headquarters for efforts by the Army during the 1850's to uphold federal law during the "Bloody Kansas" conflict. During the 1880's, Building #17 became the residence of the commandants of the new School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, now the Command and General Staff College and a center for entertainment for officers of the school. Architecturally, Building #17 is the oldest brick building in Kansas and one of the oldest brick structures west of Kansas City. Its design is a rare surviving mixture of Federal era and Greek Revival details. Its wooden pegged interior structure is one of the oldest such structures extant in the Plains region.
Tuttle, G. S.
Hunt, Judith E., Field Team
Struble, Kristie D., Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Glass, James A., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH (FRONT) & WEST ELEVATIONS FROM THE SOUTHWEST LOOKING NORTHEAST.
2. SOUTH (FRONT) & EAST ELEVATIONS FROM THE SOUTHEAST, LOOKING NORTH-NORTHWEST.
3. NORTH & EAST ELEVATIONS FROM THE NORTHEAST, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
4. NORTH ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
5. DETAIL, FRONT PORCH GAUGED BRICK FLAT ARCH AND TRIPLE-HUNG WINDOWS, FIRST FLOOR, SOUTH ELEVATION.
6. DETAIL, ASHLAR FOUNDATION AND BRICK COURSES ABOVE, WEST ELEVATION.
7. DETAIL, NOTCHED ROUGH HEWN JOINTS AND BEAMS PLUS WINDOW UNDER 1ST FLOOR PORCH, SOUTH ELEVATION, LOOKING NORTH-NORTHWEST.
8. PARLOR (FOREGROUND) AND DINING ROOM, LOOKING NORTHEAST FROM SOUTHWEST CORNER.
9. ATTIC, WEST WINDOW SASH AND SPLAYED REVEALS, LOOKING WEST.
10. ATTIC, OVERALL, LOOKING EAST-SOUTHEAST.
11. ATTIC, SOUTHEAST POST AND THREE BEAMS IN CENTER AREA OF ATTIC, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
12. ATTIC, CLOSEUP OF SOUTHEAST POST AND JOISTS SHOWING PEGGED JOINTS, LOOKING SOUTH-SOUTHEAST.
Back to Leavenworth, Kansas