Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Kansas > Lawrence > English Lutheran Church, 1040 New Hampshire Street, Lawrence, Douglas County, KS



See 27 maps of this location


Item Title
English Lutheran Church, 1040 New Hampshire Street, Lawrence, Douglas County, KS

Location
1040 New Hampshire Street, Lawrence, KS

Find maps of Lawrence, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-63
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N965).
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1902 subsequent work
Significance: Constructed in 1870, the English Lutheran Church was established as a mission to serve the needs of German immigrants in Lawrence, Kansas. Between 1860 and 1870, an influx of European immigrants, many of them German, increased the population of Lawrence five-fold. The English Lutheran Church was an important focal point for the mostly working-class, East Lawrence, German community. The word "English" refers to the language used in worship, a crucial aid in Americanization and social acceptance. The original building, which includes a 30 by 50 foot nave and a 10-foot-square bell tower vestibule, was designed by architect John G. Haskell, who designed many of Lawrence's public structures. Haskell designed the Douglas County Courthouse, located in close proximity to the English Lutheran Church. As with most Haskell-designed buildings in the downtown area and on the nearby college campus, the stone for the English Lutheran Church was quarried from the University of Kansas Hill, unifying the buildings' texture and fabric. The church's later 30 by 50 foot addition, built in 1902-1906 and designed by William Nadelhofte, a contractor and congregation member, maintains both the design and quality of the original structure. Distinctive features include the fine masonry joints, the bell tower, and the stained glass lancet windows with two-piece stone arches.

Subjects
Religious Services
Immigrants
Stone Buildings


Related Names
Haskell, John G.
Nadelhofte, William
Ritz, Stephen, Field Team
Ambler, Cathy, Field Team
Maroff, Kristen, Field Team
Schubert, Christian, Field Team
Haines, Vince, Field Team
Benjamin, David, Field Team
Francisco, Marci, Field Team


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Lawrence, Kansas