Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Kansas

>

Larned

>

Fort Larned, Barracks (West), Larned, Pawnee County, KS



B&W Photos

HB475849

HB475850

HB475851

HB475852

HB475853

HB475854

HB475855

HB475856

HB475857

HB475858

HB475859

HB475860


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Barracks (West), Larned, KS

Find maps of Larned, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-21
Building/structure dates: 1866 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1884 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000107
Significance: Fort Larned was originally built of adobe. In 1865 the first stone structure was erected. By 1868 there were ten permanent sandstone buildings. Nine of these still stand to be viewed by the public. The building of barracks probably began in late 1865, since a drawing made in June 1867 shows one set of barracks completed. Each building was designed to accommodate two companies. The space allotted each company was 40' x 40' with a ceiling of about 10'. The walls were native sandstone, with the roof structure of pine timbers. These two buildings contained, besides the dormitories: mess rooms, kitchens, orderly rooms, storage, and washhouse. By 1874 the fort had become less important, as reflected by the smaller garrisons stationed there. Since a substantial part of the barracks was empty, the northeastern half of the barracks was made into a hospital. This new hospital had two wards, a mess room, dispensary, kitchen, storeroom, and attendant's room.

Subjects
"Mission 66" Program
Stone Buildings (sandstone)
Barns


Related Names
Pope, Charles S., Field Team
Childres, Mary F., Delineator
Heckman, Bruce W., Delineator
Jarvis, Gary R., Delineator
Seyfert, Don M., Delineator
Smith, Corydon, Delineator
Von Risen, David, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 BARRACKS (West), Left - BARRACKS (East), Right (Combined into New Barn)
2. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 NORTH ELEVATION
3. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 WEST ELEVATION
4. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 EXTERIOR DETAILS
5. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 DETAIL OF STONEWORK AND WINDOW PANEL
6. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 HAYLOFT INTERIOR
7. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 HAYLOFT INTERIOR
8. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 MUSEUM INTERIOR
9. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 MUSEUM INTERIOR
10. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 MUSEUM INTERIOR
11. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 CATTLE STALLS
12. Historic American Buildings Survey David von Riesen, Photographer July 1965 WASH HOUSE


Back to Larned, Kansas