Fort Riley, Building No. 4, 4 Barry Avenue, Fort Riley, Riley County, KS
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
4 Barry Avenue, Fort Riley, KS
Find maps of Fort Riley, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-54-H
Building/structure dates: 1903 initial construction
Significance: Building #4 at Fort Riley was the only single family officer's quarters built in 1903. Its design and ornamentation reflect that of Buildings #97, #99, and #103, which were duplexes built that same year. Building #4 is nearly identical to its neighbors, Buildings #2 and #5 Barry Avenue, which were built in 1889 and 1904 respectively. Erected during a boom phase of construction after the post became a school for the training of cavalry and light artillery forces in 1886, Barry Avenue residences were constructed in chronological order, beginning with the commander's residence, Building #1, built in 1889, and ending with Building #5 to the east, erected 1904. The avenue's chronological development displays the army's increasing tendency to favor designs with less ornamental detail. Building #4's rock-faced machine-cut limestone wall contrast markedly with the smooth-faced limestone wall of the quarters built during the 1850's, as does its Queen Anne styling. Building #4's current resident, Brig. General Williamson is one of only a few female officers to have attained that high rank in U.S. Army history.
Pond, Capt. George
Crawford, Catherine, Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Rodriguez, Joseph, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH (FRONT) & WEST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
2. SOUTH (FRONT) & EAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
3. NORTH (REAR) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
4. NORTH (REAR) AND WEST ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
5. PORCH DETAIL SHOWING FRONT DOOR, LOOKING NORTH.
6. LOOKING EAST SHOWING SITTING ROOM (FOREGROUND), DINING ROOM (BACKGROUND), FIREPLACE AND MAIN STAIRS.
7. 1ST FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTH SHOWING DINING ROOM FIREPLACE (LEFT); ENTRY SITTING ROOM FIREPLACE (RIGHT) AND LIVING ROOM (BACKGROUND).
8. 3RD FLOOR, LOOKING WEST.
Back to Fort Riley, Kansas