Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Kansas

>

Fort Riley

>

Fort Riley, Building No. 373, 373 Stone Court, Fort Riley, Riley County, KS



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB478847

HB478848

HB478849

HB478850

HB478851


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
373 Stone Court, Fort Riley, KS

Find maps of Fort Riley, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-54-Q
Building/structure dates: 1939 initial construction
Significance: Building #373 is one of ten rock-faced limestone duplexes built on Stone Court in 1939. It was one of the last rock-faced quarters built on post. The ten structures appear in two variations. Those like Building #373 have hipped roofs and entrances with entablatures above. The others, like Building #375 have gable roofs with half-round arches over the entrances. These buildings are identical to their brick counterparts built eight years earlier in 1931 on Lower Brick Row and in 1939 on Riley Place. This standardization of plans reflects the army's wish to economize and also the need to construct many residences as rapidly as possible during the expansion years of the 1930's. The Army Corps of Engineers built courts specifically to save money on roads and utility services. The structures' simple, plain ornamentation was also reflective of their usage by warrant officers (a lower ranking officer). Though the Corps erected several courts during the 1930's at Fort Riley, Stone Court is unique. While Lower Brick Row was built around a central court, with the road surrounding both the houses and the court, Stone Court is basically a court turned inside out. The two parallel lines of residences are placed back-to-back with the road running down the center. Their facades face onto grassy fields while their rear elevations look out over the street. This plan allows for easy automobile access while granting the facade of the house a pleasing vista. Building #373 and all of the Stone Court residences were built during the construction boom of the 1930's. This boom began in 1927 when the Corps began to replace temporary World War I structures with permanent buildings. The army launched a $148 million project which was to cover a ten-year period. The Depression accelerated the pace and volume of construction as Washington politicians began to expand all public works efforts in 1929 to relieve unemployment.

Subjects
Officers' Quarters
Domestic Life
Military Headquarters


Related Names
Taylor, Capt. F. F.
Green, Mont J.
Crawford, Catherine, Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Rodriguez, Joseph, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTHWEST CORNER SHOWING SOUTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS,LOOKING NORTHEAST.
2. SOUTHEAST CORNER SHOWING SOUTHEAST AND NORTHEAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
3. NORTHEAST CORNER SHOWING NORTHEAST & NORTHWEST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
4. BASEMENT DOOR DETAIL OF BUILDING #373A, ON NORTHEAST WALL, LOOKING SOUTH.
5. LIVING ROOM, FRONT DOOR AND STAIRS, LOOKING WEST-NORTHWEST.


Back to Fort Riley, Kansas