Fort Riley, Building No. 123, 123 Huebner Road, Fort Riley, Riley County, KS
See 20 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
123 Huebner Road, Fort Riley, KS
Find maps of Fort Riley, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-54-B
Building/structure dates: 1855 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1890 subsequent work
Significance: Building #123 at Fort Riley is one of only four remaining structures left from the early period of construction at Fort Riley, during the 1850's. It was built specifically to house the post chaplain and appears on the early site plan as the "Parsonage." For many years (1855-1890) it served as the post chaplain's residence. Unlike the other quarters built during this period, Building #123 was not included in the rectangular lay-out of the fort. This maybe due to the fact that the early buildings were grouped by function (i.e. officer's quarters, stables, administrative buildings, etc.). The result being that the chapel and the parsonage, both non-military in function, sat off from the main post, to the northwest. The simple, early styling of this building, including hammered stone walls and an unornamented. low second story construction reflects the early pioneering period of Fort Riley's history. Building #123 bears a close resemblance to Building #24, built during the same period, in styling and materials. Building #123, however, was built for single family occupancy rather than as a double quarters or duplex.
Sawyer, Joseph O.
Ogden, Maj. E. A.
Sawyer & McIlvain Company
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Rodriquez, Joseph, Historian
Crawford, Catherine, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH OF BUILDING #123, LOOKING NORTH SHOWING HOUSE AND STONE WALL.
2. EAST CORNER OF BUILDING, SHOWING SOUTHEAST & NORTHEAST WALLS.
3. NORTH CORNER OF BUILDING.
4. SOUTH CORNER OF BUILDING, SHOWING SOUTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST WALLS.
5. FRONT DOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
6. FRONT DOOR AND BUTTRESSES, LOOKING NORTH.
7. 1ST FLOOR HALLWAY AND STAIRS, DINING ROOM IN BACKGROUND, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
8. 2ND FLOOR HALLWAY AND STAIRS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
9. 2ND FLOOR, NORTHEAST BEDROOM, LOOKING SOUTH.
Back to Fort Riley, Kansas