Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Kansas

>

Fort Riley

>

Fort Riley, Building No. 123, 123 Huebner Road, Fort Riley, Riley County, KS



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB478241

HB478242

HB478243

HB478244

HB478245

HB478246

HB478247

HB478248

HB478249


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
123 Huebner Road, Fort Riley, KS

Find maps of Fort Riley, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-54-B
Building/structure dates: 1855 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1890 subsequent work
Significance: Building #123 at Fort Riley is one of only four remaining structures left from the early period of construction at Fort Riley, during the 1850's. It was built specifically to house the post chaplain and appears on the early site plan as the "Parsonage." For many years (1855-1890) it served as the post chaplain's residence. Unlike the other quarters built during this period, Building #123 was not included in the rectangular lay-out of the fort. This maybe due to the fact that the early buildings were grouped by function (i.e. officer's quarters, stables, administrative buildings, etc.). The result being that the chapel and the parsonage, both non-military in function, sat off from the main post, to the northwest. The simple, early styling of this building, including hammered stone walls and an unornamented. low second story construction reflects the early pioneering period of Fort Riley's history. Building #123 bears a close resemblance to Building #24, built during the same period, in styling and materials. Building #123, however, was built for single family occupancy rather than as a double quarters or duplex.

Subjects
Officers' Quarters
Domestic Life
Military Headquarters


Related Names
Sawyer, Joseph O.
Ogden, Maj. E. A.
Sawyer & McIlvain Company
Clarkson, David
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Rodriquez, Joseph, Historian
Crawford, Catherine, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH OF BUILDING #123, LOOKING NORTH SHOWING HOUSE AND STONE WALL.
2. EAST CORNER OF BUILDING, SHOWING SOUTHEAST & NORTHEAST WALLS.
3. NORTH CORNER OF BUILDING.
4. SOUTH CORNER OF BUILDING, SHOWING SOUTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST WALLS.
5. FRONT DOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
6. FRONT DOOR AND BUTTRESSES, LOOKING NORTH.
7. 1ST FLOOR HALLWAY AND STAIRS, DINING ROOM IN BACKGROUND, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
8. 2ND FLOOR HALLWAY AND STAIRS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
9. 2ND FLOOR, NORTHEAST BEDROOM, LOOKING SOUTH.


Back to Fort Riley, Kansas