Fort Riley, Building No. 100, 100 Schofield Circle, Fort Riley, Riley County, KS
See 20 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
100 Schofield Circle, Fort Riley, KS
Find maps of Fort Riley, KS
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS KS-54-J
Building/structure dates: 1887 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Significance: This is one of two almost identical residences built in 1887-1888 for the commanding officers of each division of the school for Cavalry and Light Artillery. Quarters #100 was built for the Commander of the Artillery Post and its twin, Building #1 Barry Avenue, was built for the Commander of the Cavalry Post. The construction of this quarters marks the beginning of a new era at Fort Riley. In 1886 it was decided that Fort Riley should become the site of the Cavalry and Light Artillery School. Thus, with the coming of the school and the addition of artillery training along with the previous emphasis on cavalry, Fort Riley was substantially enlarged. This included the establishment of separate areas for each branch. The section devoted to Cavalry related buildings was located near the original post area which was expanded, using the open yard of the old rectangular plan as the Cavalry Parade Field. A new area was planned for the Artillery buildings. Housing for artillery officers was centered around Schofield Circle with Building #100 as the keystone of the horse shoe shaped circle. Its central location on the circle with the Artillery Parade in front and the hills on the horizon was carefully planned to provide the commanding officer with a clear view of activities. It was part of Quartermaster, George E. Pond's new plan for the enlarged layout of Fort Riley. The circle got its name from Major General J.M. Schofield, commanding the Division of the Missouri, who had urged the establishment of a practical school for field artillery (Pride, p. 187). Architecturally, Buildings #100 and #1 are the grandest residences on the post. The design influence reflects that of the Queen Anne and H.H. Richardson, Romanesque Revival styles, both made popular during the 1880's.
Pond, Capt. George E.
White, E. F.
Rodriguez, Joseph, Field Team
Whye, Mike, Photographer
Crawford, Catherine, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTHWEST & SOUTHEAST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
2. FRONT BAY LOGGIA DETAIL FROM SOUTHWEST.
3. SOUTHEAST (FRONT) & NORTHEAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
4. NORTHEAST & NORTHWEST (REAR) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
5. NORTHWEST (REAR) & SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
6. 1ST FLOOR, FROM DINING ROOM, LOOKING SOUTHEAST, SHOWING DINING ROOM FIREPLACE, LIVING ROOM (BACKGROUND LEFT) AND MAIN ENTRY (BACKGROUND RIGHT) AND VESTIBULE (FAR BACKGROUND RIGHT).
7. 1ST FLOOR, FROM MAIN STAIRS, LOOKING EAST-NORTHEAST, SHOWING MAIN ENTRY (RIGHT), DINING ROOM (LEFT) AND LIVING ROOM (BACKGROUND).
8. 1ST FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTH UP MAIN STAIRS.
9. 3RD FLOOR BEDROOM, LOOKING SOUTH, SHOWING STAIRS LEADING DOWN TO 2ND FLOOR, AND TO LOGGIA.
Back to Fort Riley, Kansas