Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Emporia

>

William Allen White House, Main House, 927 North Exchange Street, Emporia, Lyon County, KS



Drawings


Item Title


Location
927 North Exchange Street, Emporia, KS

Find maps of Emporia, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-81-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N847).
Building/structure dates: 1889 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1973 subsequent work
National Register Number: 71000318
Significance: "Red Rocks" was the home of newspaper editor and writer William Allen White from 1899 until his death in 1944. White was national known and revered as the editor of the Emporia Gazette, a frequent contributor to popular journals such as McClure's, Harper's Weekly, and Saturday Evening Post and an influential political advisor. It was at Red Rocks that White and his family entertained several United States Presidents and other important policy-makers as well as cultural luminaries including writer Edna Ferber, architect Frank Lloyd Wright and his Taliesin fellows, poet Walt Mason, and countless other guests. Because of White's fame and career, his home was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. The site consists of three structures - the main house, White's mother's house, and a garage - on four adjoining town lots unified by a terraced garden. After the renovation of the three-story main house in 1920-21, the exterior was changed from an elaborate Queen Anne-styled confection to a more sedate, sophisticated Tudor Revival. The house takes its name, "Red Rocks," from the red Colorado sandstone of the first story, while the two top stories are of red pressed brick, stucco, and wood strips designed to appear as half-timbering.

Subjects
Stone Buildings (sandstone)
U.S. Presidents
Brick Buildings


Related Names
Kansas State Historical Society
Wight & Wight
Squires, Charles W.
Gillett, Almerin
Lyon County (Kansas)
Thompson, Clarence
Leibowitz, Rachel, Historian
Klein, Frederick A., Delineator
Gunderson, Courtney L., Delineator
Lenard, Marton, Delineator
Utz, Steven B., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Emporia, Kansas