Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Cedar Point

>

Drinkwater & Shriver Mill, First & Main Streets, Cedar Point, Chase County, KS



See 19 maps of this location


Drawings


Item Title


Location
First & Main Streets, Cedar Point, KS

Find maps of Cedar Point, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-79
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N605).
Building/structure dates: 1871 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1941 subsequent work
0.2
Significance: In 1857 a Pennsylvanian named O.H. Drinkwater settled in the Cottonwood Valley of Chase County, KS. One of the first settlers of this area, he built a cabin along a small stream in the far western part of the county and called it "Cedar." A few years later, in 1862, a post office was established here. Mr. Drinkwater became postmaster and named the town Cedar Point. In 1867, Mr. Drinkwater and J.P. Crawford began a milling partnership and built a wooden frame mill used for sawing lumber. P.P. Schriver replaced Mr. Crawford in the partnership and they began milling flour. In 1870, the mill began operating under the name of Drinkwater and Schriver. A year later, construction of a stone structure was begun and the three-story mill was completed in 1875. By 1883, the mill was proclaimed "the largest and finest in Chase County or in this part of the State." Mr. Schriver's son, Paul, operated the mill from 1903-1917 and added the frame part on the south side of the mill. The mill changed hands several times throughout the next years, and finally in 1941 was changed from a flour mill to a feed mill. After time spent standing vacant, Dr. Bruce McMullen from Wichita purchased the mill. In January 2000, Cedar Point Mill, Inc. was established by Dr. McMullen, Dan Clothier and Barry Linnens. This group plans to explore the potential restoration of the Drinkwater and Schriver Flour Mill and to maintain it as a community asset. The mill is one of few remaining limestone mills in Kansas and holds great importance in the historic culture of the community, state and region.

Subjects
Flour & Meal Industry
Flour Mills
Stone Buildings (limestone)


Related Names
Drinkwater, O. H.
Crawford, J. P.
Schriver, P. P.
Schriver, Paul
McMullen, Dr. Bruce
Cedar Point Mill, Incorporated
Bradley, Carrie, Field Team
Evans, Marla, Field Team
Favier, Ryan, Field Team
Filla, Chris, Field Team
Fronick, Ryan, Field Team
Heinzler, Julie, Field Team
Jensen, Katie, Field Team
Knoettgen, Erin, Field Team
Knoll, Katharina, Field Team


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Cedar Point, Kansas