Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Kansas

>

Beaumont

>

Beaumont St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Water Tank, Third & D Streets, Beaumont, Butler County, KS



See 29 maps of this location


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Third & D Streets, Beaumont, KS

Find maps of Beaumont, KS


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS KS-82
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N850).
Building/structure dates: 1885 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1996 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1998 subsequent work
0.2002
Significance: Beaumont, located on the western edge of the Kansas flinthills, was platted and deeded by Edwin Russel and his wife, Emma, on March 28th, 1881. Only four years later, due to the surge in locomotive traffic on the St. Louis San Francisco Rail Line through town, Beaumont Station was built and equipped with facilities such as a turn-table, roundhouse and water tower. The water tower was constructed in 1885 to service the steampowered locomotives, supply water for feeding stationary boilers, washing cars, cleaning floors, cleaning boilers, cooling ashes, fire protection, and similar purposes at the shops, engine house, station buildings, etc. Constructed from large, sawcut and milled cypress staves bound by steel bands, the tank has a fifty thousand gallon capacity, which is covered by a six-sided shingle roof and hoisted some forty feet into the air by eight wooden piers which rest on concrete footings. With the advent of diesel fuel locomotives, the tower became useless to the railroad but remained vital to the Beaumont community. The pump station was kept active and pipe was laid throughout the town for potable water supply. The tower held water and was in limited use until 1988. In 1989, the Beaumont community of eighty-five people formed the "Friends of the Beaumont Water Tower" in efforts to preserve the tower. Since then, the organization has succeeded in acquiring the tower from the Burlington Northern Railroad Company (1996), repaired and preserved the wooden structure and strengthened the concrete foundations (1998), and established a yearly water tower festival to raise funds and awareness for their cause. Today, the water tower represents one of the few remaining of its type in the United States, and draws many visitors from throughout the state and region.

Subjects
Water Supply
Wooden Buildings
Water Tanks


Related Names
Friends Of The Beaumont Water Tower
Russell, Edwin
Russell, Emma
Martin, Andrei, Field Team
Mathias, Julia, Field Team
Pfeiffer, James, Field Team
Audrian, Ben, Delineator
Knock, Ryan, Delineator
Nichols, Katherine, Delineator
Smith, Robert, Delineator
Thorpe, Christy, Delineator
Tramba, Jonathan, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Beaumont, Kansas