Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Richmond

>

Hicksite Friends Meetinghouse, 1150 North A Street, Richmond, Wayne County, IN



See 22 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB462245
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
1150 North A Street, Richmond, IN

Find maps of Richmond, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-119
Building/structure dates: 1865 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1929 subsequent work
Significance: The Hicksite Friends, the largest and most influential religious sect in nineteenth-century Richmond, acquired a plot of land from Charles W. Starr in 1864. By the following year they had erected this symmetrical cross-gable brick building. In keeping with Quaker philosophy, stylistic details are simple and modified to blend with the fabric. Today, the structure is part of the Starr Historic District and has been sensitively converted to a museum by the county historical society.

Related Names
Mathews, William N.
Whitewater Friends
Hicks, Elias


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 FRONT ELEVATION


Back to Richmond, Indiana