Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Richmond

>

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, 200 Sixth Street, Richmond, Wayne County, IN



See 21 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB462129
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462130
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462131
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462132
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462133
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462134
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462135
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
200 Sixth Street, Richmond, IN

Find maps of Richmond, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-112
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1892 subsequent work
Significance: Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (Bethel A.M.E.) Church was founded in 1836 by William Paul Quinn, nationally prominent Afro Methodist minister. It is the oldest Afro Methodist congregation in Indiana. The structure was erected in 1854 by the German Methodist Church, transferred to the Hicksite Friends in 1857, and became the property of Bethel A.M.E. Church in 1868. Since Richmond was a stonghold in Indiana for free blacks during the nineteenth century, the church served as a social, cultural, educational as well as religious center for the black community. Originally, the building was simply appointed with classical details. In 1892, it was remodeled and enlarged by the Bethel A.M.E. congregation, transforming it to a more ornate structure of Romanesque Revival and neo-classical character. The structure is representative of the black community's affluence in the late nineteenth century and is an important symbol of the black man's status.

Related Names
Quinn, William Paul
Hicksite Friends
Townsend, James W.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM EAST NORTHEAST
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM NORTHEAST
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 VIEW OF TOWER AND NORTH SIDE
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 DETAIL VIEW OF EAST WINDOWS
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 DETAIL VIEW OF LANCET WINDOWS
6. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW OF ALTAR
7. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW OF OLD SECTION


Back to Richmond, Indiana