Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Richmond

>

Andrew Scott House, 126 North Tenth Street, Richmond, Wayne County, IN



B&W Photos

HB462323
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462324
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462325
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462326
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462327
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462328
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB462329
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
126 North Tenth Street, Richmond, IN

Find maps of Richmond, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-145
Building/structure dates: 1858 initial construction
Significance: The Andrew F. Scott house was built in 1858, and is a good example of a mid-19th century house designed in the Italian Villa style. Distinguished by a central projecting pedimented pavilion on the symmetrical three-bay facade and an elaborate roof top cupola, the rectilinear main block is trimmed with a first-story verandah, a pedimented recessed main entry, and deep bracketed projecting eaves. The Scott house has been in the Scott family since its erection in 1858. It was built for Andrew F. Scott, a leading banker and Democrat in Wayne County during the mid-19th century. Scott was an incorporator and the first president of the Second National Bank of Richmond. His grandson, Francis A. MacNutt, lived with his grandparents as a child, and wrote a detailed and vivid description of the house as it appeared in the 19th century, which stands as one of the most valuable historical records of the house today. MacNutt became a diplomat with the U.S. Legation in Constantinople, and later a Papal Chamberlain in Poland. Three generations after the house was first occupied, it remains the home of members of the Scott family.

Related Names
Scott, Andrew F.
MacNutt, Francis


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTHEAST
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM NORTHEAST
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 VIEW OF EAST FACADE FROM NORTHEAST
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 DETAIL OF EAST (FRONT) FACADE
6. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 DETAIL EAST PORCH FROM SOUTH
7. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 DETAIL SOUTH PORCH FROM SOUTHWEST


Back to Richmond, Indiana