Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Madison

>

Second Presbyterian Church, 500 West Street, Madison, Jefferson County, IN



B&W Photos

HB464657
Historic American Buildings Survey Wilson B

HB464658
Historic American Buildings Survey Wilson B

HB464659
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E

HB464660
Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
500 West Street, Madison, IN

Find maps of Madison, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-24-15
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-15).
Building/structure dates: 1834 initial construction
Significance: This old building is one of the oldest in southern Indiana, and is still well preserved. The Church was organized August 15, 1833, with J.D. Lanier as the first Treasurer. On Nov. 14 of that year, a lot was purchased for $650.00 and on Dec. 24, 1833, plans for a church prepared by Edwin J. Peck, were adopted. On April 27, 1835, the bell was ordered and on November 22, 1835 the dedication took place. Rev. Lyman Beecher preached the sermon. ... Extreme simplicity marks the exterior and interior; the former has excellent columns and classic cornice; the interior with a paneled ceiling and plain cornice. The audience room has plain clear glass windows, with inside blinds. Exterior walls are of brick, covered with stucco.

Subjects
Presbyterian Churches


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY WILSON B. PARKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, March, 1934 SOUTH VIEW (FRONT)
2. HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY WILSON B. PARKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, March, 1934 SOUTHWEST VIEW
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer September 1971 GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer September 1971 FRONT ELEVATION FROM SOUTH
GENERAL VIEW (FRONT VIEW) FROM SOUTHWEST


Back to Madison, Indiana