Carriage House & Stables, 120 Elm Street, Madison, Jefferson County, IN
120 Elm Street, Madison, IN
Find maps of Madison, IN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IN-76
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N941).
Significance: The structure was probably built c. 1887 by John Robert Cravens, attorney-at-law, as a carriage house and stable. The building was later used by the R. McKim Company as a barn. C & R Auto Parts, owned by Burton Chambers, used the structure as a warehouse in the 1950s and 1960s. Historic Madison, Inc. acquired it in 1990 and uses it as a collections storage facility for artifacts from the Schroeder Saddle Tree Factory. (See HAER IN-26 for Factory project.)
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Madison, Indiana