Lafayette Street Railway Powerhouse, 2 South Street, Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, IN
See 23 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
2 South Street, Lafayette, IN
Find maps of Lafayette, IN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IN-41
Building/structure dates: 1892 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1896 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1979 demolished
Significance: The first electric street railway system was installed in Richmond, Virginia in 1887. Based on its success, the City of Lafayette, Indiana, authorized the Lafayette Street Railway Co. to convert its horsecar operation to the electric traction system. The first trail run occurred August 30, 1888. Thus did Lafayette complete one of the first electric street railways in the U.S.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Plan of boiler room, c. 1894, of 1892/1896 structure (photocopy).
2. Plan of engine and dynamo room, c. 1894, of 1892/1896 structure (photocopy).
3. Engine room, c. 1894 (photocopy).
4. Switchboard, c. 1894 (photocopy).
5. View from north, c. 1911 (photocopy).
6. Boiler Room, c. 1911 (photocopy).
7. Plan of Power House, c. 1911 (photocopy).
8. Westinghouse generator and Hamilton-Corliss engine in 1907 addition, view looking west c. 1911 (photocopy).
9. Hamilton-Corliss engine and switchboards in 1907 addition, view looking east, c. 1911 (photocopy).
10. Southern elevation of Power House with former New York Central tracks in foreground.
11. Southern elevation (left) and eastern elevation (right); gabled roof structure is 1892/1896 building.
12. Frontal (eastern) elevation of Power House with Big Four Railroad bridge at right.
13. Frontal and northern (right) elevations of 1907 addition.
14. Western (left) and southern (right) elevations of Power House. 1892/1896 building is in foreground.
15. Southern elevation of 1892/1896 building.
16. Northern elevation of Power House with coal elevator visible.
17. Northern elevation of Power House showing former location of rail siding.
18. Northern elevation of 1892/1896 building showing coal elevator and location of rail siding.
19. Northern elevation of 1892/1896 building; close-up of coal elevator.
20. 1892/1896 building, view looking west with coal elevator to the right.
21. 1892/1896 building, view looking northwest.
22. 1892/1896 building, view looking north with 1907 addition to right.
23. 1907 addition, view looking east.
24. 1907 addition, view looking west at 1892/1896 building.
Back to Lafayette, Indiana