Vandalia Railroad Bridge, Spanning U.S. Route 40, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning U.S. Route 40, Indianapolis, IN
Find maps of Indianapolis, IN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IN-88
Significance: The Vandalia Railroad Bridge, over U.S. 40 (the old National Road) in Indianapolis, Marion County, is locally significant as an example of early 20th century reinforced concrete bridge design and construction. It was one of two overhead grade crossings built as part of a new railway between Indianapolis and Frankfort, Indiana in 1916-17. It is also significant for the extensive construction of the earthwork in the vicinity of the bridge.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW LOOKING WEST FROM EAST OF THE BRIDGE, SHOWING THE ROADWAY OF U.S. 40, AND THE EAST ELEVATION OF THE BRIDGE.
2. VIEW LOOKING EAST FROM U.S. 40 SHOWING THE WEST ELEVATION OF THE BRIDGE.
3. PHOTOGRAPH MADE FROM THE NORTH WEST RAILWAY ROADBED LOOKING SOUTH EAST. THE BALUSTRADES ARE VISIBLE AND, IN THE BACKGROUND, BUILDINGS CONNECTED WITH THE INDIANAPOLIS AIRPORT CAN BE SEEN.
4. AN IMAGE, LOOKING NORTH WEST, OF THE TRACK, BALLAST AND CONCRETE BALUSTRADES, SHOWING HOW THE BRIDGE WAS DESIGNED TO TAKE TWO SETS OF TRACK.
5. LOOKING DUE WEST, THIS ELEVATION SHOWS THE ABUTMENTS, ARCH, DECORATED SPANDRELS, THE BALLISTERS AND THE 25' RAISE IN GRADE WHICH WAS ACCOMPLISHED WITH BORROWED FILL.
6. A DETAIL OF THE BRIDGE, LOOKING WEST TOWARD THE EAST ELEVATION, SHOWING THE TERMINUS OF THE EASTERN ABUTMENT, REMNANTS OF THE ARCH RING SIGN AND LOCAL GRAFFITI.
7. A MEDIUM CLOSE UP OF THE WESTERN ELEVATION, LOOKING EAST. NEW BUILDINGS IN AN INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX EAST OF THE BRIDGE ARE VISIBLE THROUGH THE ARCH.
8. A VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST FROM SOUTHWEST OF THE BRIDGE, SHOWING THE INTRADOS OF THE ARCH, ITS ARRAS, ARCHED BELTING COURSE AND INCISED ELEMENTS IN THE SPANDRELS. THIS IMAGE ALSO SHOWS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE BRIDGE PROPER AND ITS ABUTMENT.
9. DETAIL: A VIEW LOOKING EAST OF THE TERMINUS OF THE SOUTHWEST WING WALL ABUTMENT AND THE ADJACENT EMBANKMENT.
10. DETAIL: LOOKING SOUTHWEST, OF THE NORTHEAST ABUTMENT OF THE BRIDGE, SHOWING THE TRAILER COURT BEYOND AND RETRO-FIT DRAINAGE STRUCTURE.
11. DETAIL OF THE SOUTH EAST BALUSTRADE WITH ITS DETERIORATING PEDESTAL AND BASE.
12. AN IMAGE OF THE ARCH ENTRADOS LOOKING SOUTH FROM THE NORTH SIDE OF U.S. 40. THIS DETAIL CLEARLY SHOWS THE FOUR LONGITUDINAL ARCH CASTINGS AND THE GHOSTS OF THE BOARDS USED AS FORMS.
13. A COPY, MARKED SHEET NO. 1, OF ONE OF THE 1916 ENGINEERING DRAWINGS FOR THE BRIDGE.
14. A PHOTOGRAPH OF SHEET NO. 2 OF THE HISTORIC BRIDGE DRAWINGS.
15. COPY OF A PART PLAN AND DETAILS OF THE RAILROAD BRIDGE, MARKED SHEET NO. 3.
Back to Indianapolis, Indiana