Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Indianapolis

>

Schnull & Company Building (Commercial), 110-116 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN



B&W Photos

HB469504
BWPhotos 335103

HB469505
BWPhotos 335104

HB469506
BWPhotos 335105

HB469507
BWPhotos 335106

HB469508
BWPhotos 335107

HB469509
BWPhotos 335108

HB469510
BWPhotos 335109

HB469511
BWPhotos 335110

HB469512
BWPhotos 335111

HB469513
BWPhotos 335112

HB469514
BWPhotos 335113

HB469515
BWPhotos 335114

HB469516
BWPhotos 335115

HB469517
BWPhotos 335116

HB469518
BWPhotos 335117

HB469519
BWPhotos 335118

HB469520
BWPhotos 335119

HB469521
BWPhotos 335120


Item Title
BWPhotos 335120

Location
110-116 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN

Find maps of Indianapolis, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-219
Significance: The Schnull & Co. Building was constructed for Henry Schnull as the home of his wholesale grocery firm. Schnull (1833-1905) was the founder of the Indianapolis Wholesale District. He erected the first speculative wholesale building in 1863 realizing the value of the location with the dual growth of commerce and railroad transportation in Indianapolis during the Civil War. This structure occupies the site of Schnull & Co's first building, destroyed by fire in 1895. The building is the design of the prestigious local architectural firm of Vonnegut & Bohn. The building has retained much of its integrity and is a contributing structure in the Indianapolis Union Station-Wholesale District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in July 14, 1982.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Indianapolis, Indiana