Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Indianapolis

>

Occidental Building (Commercial Building), 41-47 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN



See 23 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB469100
View Southeast, Context, 8-story Building To The Right

HB469101
View Southeast, North And West Facades

HB469102
View Southwest, North And East Facades

HB469103
View Northeast, West And South Facades

HB469104
Detail, Of Terra Cotta, North Facade

HB469105
Sixth Floor Interior, General Open Space Looking South

HB469106
Escalator Detail, Interior, Third Floor Looking North

HB469107
Window Detail, Interior, Eighth Floor Looking Northeast


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
41-47 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN

Find maps of Indianapolis, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-211
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1945 subsequent work
Significance: The Occidental Building is the work of one of Indianapolis' most famous and prolific architectural firms, Rubush & Hunter. Founded in 1905, the firm mastered the office and commercial building form until the firm's dissolution in 1938. The Occidental was designed in 1913 and constructed the following year. It was one of a series of skyscrapers constructed in post-Victorian downtown Indianapolis in an era of unbridled growth and construction terminated by the Great Depression. The Occidental Building is typical of the period with its Renaissance Revival detailing and terra cotta cladding. It contributed to the commercial streetscape of West Washington Street with its many commercial tenants from 1914 to 1945 and as the home of L. Strauss & Company, the city's oldest retail clothier, from 1945 until 1985.

Related Names
Rubush & Hunter
L. Strauss & Company
Klausmann, Henry W.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW SOUTHEAST, CONTEXT, 8-STORY BUILDING TO THE RIGHT
2. VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTH AND WEST FACADES
3. VIEW SOUTHWEST, NORTH AND EAST FACADES
4. VIEW NORTHEAST, WEST AND SOUTH FACADES
5. DETAIL, OF TERRA COTTA, NORTH FACADE
6. SIXTH FLOOR INTERIOR, GENERAL OPEN SPACE LOOKING SOUTH
7. ESCALATOR DETAIL, INTERIOR, THIRD FLOOR LOOKING NORTH
8. WINDOW DETAIL, INTERIOR, EIGHTH FLOOR LOOKING NORTHEAST


Back to Indianapolis, Indiana