Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Indianapolis

>

Journal Building, 46-48 Monument Circle, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN



See 21 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB469224
View Northwest, 4-story Building In Center, East (front) And South Facade

HB469225
View West, East (front) Facade (office Section)

HB469226
View North, South Facade

HB469227
View North, 5-story Building In Center, West (rear) Facade In

HB469228
Detail, East (front) Facade, Third And Fourth Floors

HB469229
Detail, East (front) Facade, First And Second Floors

HB469230
First Floor, Mechanical Section, Looking Northeast

HB469231
Fourth Floor, Mechanical Section, Looking Southwest


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
46-48 Monument Circle, Indianapolis, IN

Find maps of Indianapolis, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-213
Building/structure dates: 1897 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1913 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1923 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1954 subsequent work
Significance: The Journal Building was built in 1897 and is the second oldest building on Monument Circle, the focal point of the city plan created in 1821. It is the only surviving nineteenth-century commercial building on the Circle, representing the transition of the Circle from a residential and church area into a commercial district. The Journal Building was built as the home of the "Indianapolis Journal" and as the offices of the Indianapolis Light and Power Company. It was originally built in two sections: mechanical (rear) and office (front). Only the exterior walls of the office section remain intact, albeit with alterations, as the interior has been rebuilt and remodeled a number of times. The mechanical section in the rear of the building, facing the north-south alley, Bird Street, was enlarged in 1923 with the addition of three stories. Much of the mechanical section's historic fabric dates from that time.

Related Names
Indianapolis Journal


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW NORTHWEST, 4-STORY BUILDING IN CENTER, EAST (FRONT) AND SOUTH FACADE
2. VIEW WEST, EAST (FRONT) FACADE (OFFICE SECTION)
3. VIEW NORTH, SOUTH FACADE
4. VIEW NORTH, 5-STORY BUILDING IN CENTER, WEST (REAR) FACADE IN
5. DETAIL, EAST (FRONT) FACADE, THIRD AND FOURTH FLOORS
6. DETAIL, EAST (FRONT) FACADE, FIRST AND SECOND FLOORS
7. FIRST FLOOR, MECHANICAL SECTION, LOOKING NORTHEAST
8. FOURTH FLOOR, MECHANICAL SECTION, LOOKING SOUTHWEST


Back to Indianapolis, Indiana