Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Indiana

>

Indianapolis

>

Duesenberg Automobile Company Factory, Building No. 1, 1501 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN



B&W Photos

HB468138
North (principal) Front

HB468139
North (principal) Front, View Southwest

HB468140
West Side, North End, View East

HB468141
West Side, South End, View East

HB468142
South (rear) Elevation, View Northwest

HB468143
South (rear) Elevation, Bridge Detail

HB468144
East Side View West

HB468145
Interior, Lobby Of North Entrance, View Northeast

HB468146
Interior, First Floor West Window Elevation, View Northeast,

HB468147
Interior, Stairway Detail, Second Floor

HB468148
Interior, Stairway Detail, Second Floor Landing

HB468149
Interior, Second Floor, View Northeast

HB468150
Interior, Second Floor Column

HB468151
Interior, Third Floor, View Northeast

HB468152
Interior, Detail Third Floor Column


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1501 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN

Find maps of Indianapolis, IN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IN-70-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-57).
Significance: The Dusenberg Automobile and Motors Company was incorporated in Indiana in March, 1920. Prior to this, brothers Fred S. and August Dusenberg had operated an engine manufacturing plant in Newark, New Jersey which, before and during World War I, had produced marine motors for U.S. and Allied submarine chasers and airplane motors. The relocation to Indianapolis in 1921 allowed the brothers to continue experimentations with Indy "500" race cars which they had begun in 1911, entering their first race in 1912. The fast, powerful single overhead cam straight eight engines which they had developed were, upon their move to Indianapolis, first manufactured in the factory unit completed by April, 1921 and the connecting, two-story office building (Building #1) completed with its industrial finishes by May, 1921. Thus America's first vertical eight cylinder passenger car engine was put into production at this site. This engine, chassis and customwork body became known as the Dusenberg, "The World's Finest Motor Car."

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH (PRINCIPAL) FRONT
2. NORTH (PRINCIPAL) FRONT, VIEW SOUTHWEST
3. WEST SIDE, NORTH END, VIEW EAST
4. WEST SIDE, SOUTH END, VIEW EAST
5. SOUTH (REAR) ELEVATION, VIEW NORTHWEST
6. SOUTH (REAR) ELEVATION, BRIDGE DETAIL
7. EAST SIDE VIEW WEST
8. INTERIOR, LOBBY OF NORTH ENTRANCE, VIEW NORTHEAST
9. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR WEST WINDOW ELEVATION, VIEW NORTHEAST,
10. INTERIOR, STAIRWAY DETAIL, SECOND FLOOR
11. INTERIOR, STAIRWAY DETAIL, SECOND FLOOR LANDING
12. INTERIOR, SECOND FLOOR, VIEW NORTHEAST
13. INTERIOR, SECOND FLOOR COLUMN
14. INTERIOR, THIRD FLOOR, VIEW NORTHEAST
15. INTERIOR, DETAIL THIRD FLOOR COLUMN


Back to Indianapolis, Indiana