Cataract Falls Bridge, Spanning Mill Creek, bypassed section of CR 279 (C, Cataract, Owen County, IN
Photo Caption Pages
bypassed section of CR 279 (C, Cataract, IN
Find maps of Cataract, IN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IN-104
Building/structure dates: 1876 initial construction
Significance: Cataract Falls Bridge is the only surviving covered bridge in Owen County, Indiana. It is also one of only six Smith trusses in Indiana. This popular late nineteenth century bridge was patented by Robert W. Smith and built by his company or under license to him. Smith's innovations represented by the Cataract Falls Bridge, were among the last in wooden bridge design even as the country was making the shift to all-metal bridges.
Smith, Robert W.
Smith Bridge Company
Troth, William H.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
PERSPECTIVE VIEW FROM SOUTH. BOARD SIDING, ROOF SHINGLES, AND TOP LAYER OF BOARD DECKING WERE INSTALLED IN 1995.
VIEW FROM SOUTHEAST.
DETAIL OF NORTHEAST CUT STONE ABUTMENT FROM SOUTHWEST.
VIEW OF CREEK WITH EAST AND WEST ABUTMENT.
VIEW OF SOUTHWEST PORTAL FROM WEST.
INTERIOR VIEW FROM CENTER, WEST.
VIEW FROM WEST END LOOKING TOWARDS ABUTMENT.
Back to Cataract, Indiana