River Vale Bridge, Spanning White River on County Road 27, Bedford, Marion County, IN
See 21 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning White River on County Road 27, Bedford vicinity, IN
Find maps of Bedford, IN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IN-58
Significance: The bridge is one of the best of ten surviving examples of a pin-connected Pennsylvania Through Truss with sub-ties one in the state of Indiana. This bridge is of local significance.
Metal Truss Bridges
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Up-stream elevation from north bank.
2. Down-stream elevation from south bank.
3. Elevation looking south from north bank.
4. View from south showing two trusses.
5. South approach.
6. North approach, looking south towards bridge.
7. North approach.
8. South portals and back view of plaque.
9. Shows U7L7 mid-chord connection.
10. Typical interior portal.
11. Close-up of mid-height U7L7 connection.
12. Mid-span of structure showing railing and bridge deck.
13. South abutment.
14. West side view of center pier.
15. Underside of north span.
16. Side view of north abutment.
17. Remains old wall along north approach (west side).
18. Dedication Plaque at south end portal.
Back to Bedford vicinity, Indiana