Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

Willow Branch Township

>

Robert H. Allerton Estate, Willow Branch Township, Piatt County, IL



See 33 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Willow Branch Township, IL

Find maps of Willow Branch Township, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IL-1216
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N961).
Building/structure dates: 1899 initial construction
0.2004
Significance: The Robert H. Allerton estate is located in Willow Branch Township, Piatt County, Illinois, comprising approximately 5,500 acres. Allerton (1873-1974) was the son of a Chicago scion who spent his life as a gentleman farmer and agriculturist. Between 1899 and 1903, he built a two-story red brick mansion in a park like setting on a portion of the estate. John Borie of Philadelphia was the architect. James Gamble Rogers, who assisted in preparing the drawings, was also engaged by Allerton. In 1946, the estate was given to the University of Illinois, which manages the site, and the mansion is presently used by the Office of Continuing Education. The surrounding park land is open to the public. From the exterior, the mansion and its stable are largely unchanged. On the interior, the upper floor bedrooms have been subdivided to accommodate overnight guests, and the stable has been converted to a kitchen and dining room. The porch on the southwest side of the mansion was also enclosed. Adjacent to the main entry is a pond. Beyond the immediate yard are informal gardens in the English Picturesque tradition. The Georgian Revival style was chosen for the exterior massing and ornament and the interior paneling. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond and trimmed in limestone, and the roof is covered in blue slate. A variety of hardwoods was used in the floors and wall panels on the first floor yard sculptures include limestone urns and a pair of Greek sphinxes.

Subjects
Education
Estates
Mansions


Related Names
University Of Illinois
Borie, John
Rogers, James Gamble
Deskins, Carl, Field Team
Earp, Chris, Field Team
Ellermann, Ben, Field Team
Ford, Michael, Field Team
Jansen, Christina, Field Team
Lawson, Heather, Field Team
Pasztor, Janna, Field Team
Williams, Stacy, Field Team
Wirth, Doug, Field Team


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Willow Branch Township, Illinois