Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 68, Rodman Avenue between Fourth Street & East Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Rodman Avenue between Fourth Street & East Avenue, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-E
Building/structure dates: 1893 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1943 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1881 to 1893, Shop K was the last to be completed. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop K forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop K is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
War (World War I)
Concrete Block Buildings
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. S (front) elevation, main block (Building 67 is at the left of the view); looking NNE. (Harms)
2. 3/4 view of the S (front) & E elevations (Shop H, Building 66, is at the left of the view; Storehouse K, Building 56, at the right); looking NW. (Harms)
3. 3/4 view of the E & N elevations of the E & W wings; N elevation of Building 58, Surface Treatment Building; looking SW. (Ceronie)
4. View of central entry bay, main block; looking N. (Harms)
5. Overall view of third floor, E Wing. (Harms and Ryan)
6. Detail view of cast-iron columns, showing wood shop floor and vaulted ceiling; main block, looking ESE. (Ryan)
7. Detail view of original basement doorway, NE pavilion, E Wing; looking NE. (Ceronie)
8. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH ELEVATON IN UNALTERED CONDITION. ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED 1898.
9. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SECOND FLOOR, EAST WING. MOTORIZED MACHINING EQUIPMENT USED IN MANUFACTURE OF MACHINE GUN PARTS. SHOWN IN THE FOREGROUND IS A PRATT & WHITNEY VERTICAL MILLING MACHINE. DATED JANUARY 21, 1943.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois