Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 66, Rodman Avenue between Third & Fourth Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



B&W Photos

HB443003

HB443004

HB443005

HB443006

HB443007

HB443008

HB443009

HB443010

HB443011

HB443012

HB443013

HB443014

HB443015

HB443016

HB443017

HB443018

HB443019

HB443020


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Rodman Avenue between Third & Fourth Streets, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-D
Building/structure dates: 1886 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1916 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1878 to 1886, Shop H was the ninth to be completed. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop H forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop H is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.

Subjects
Armies
War (World War I)
War (World War II)


Related Names
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. W & S (front) elevations, main block; looking NE. (Ceronie)
2. H & W elevations, W wing; looking SE. (Ceronie)
3. N elevation, E wing; 3/4 view of W wing showing E and N elevations; N elevation of Building 69, Plating and Tinning Shop; looking SW. (Ceronie)
4. Detail view of original doorway opening; W side of main block; looking N. (Ceronie)
5. Detail view of original second-floor windows, W side of main block; looking N. (Ceronie)
6. General view of basement and piers, E wing; looking NNW. (Ceronie)
7. Detail view of typical limestone pier; looking SE. (Ceronie)
8. General view of shop floor, first floor of W wing; looking N. (Ceronie)
9. First floor shop office, SE corner of E wing, showing entry vestibule at right; looking SSE. (Ryan and Harms)
10. Detail view of original shop door, E wall, first floor of W wing. (Ceronie)
11. Detail view of typical first floor window, W wall of W wing. (Harms and Ryan)
12. View of original 'open' cast-iron stairs and original column; first-floor of E wing; looking N. (Ryan and Harms)
13. Detail view of double arched window, second floor of the main block; looking S. (Harms and Ryan)
14. Detail view of original arched windows; second floor of E wing; looking N. (Harms and Ryan)
15. Detail view of column capital, floor joists, and decorative cast-iron railing; looking SSW from stairs to second floor, E wing. (Ceronie)
16. General view of truss system; SW corner of attic; looking NW. (Ryan)
17. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH ELEVATION IN UNALTERED CONDITION. TAKEN ABOUT 1900.
18. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. FIRST FLOOR, SOUTH END, LOOKING EAST; MOTORIZED MACHINING EQUIPMENT (MILLS, PROFILERS, DRILL PRESSES, SCREW MACHINES) USED IN SMALL ARMS PRODUCTION. DATED APRIL 7, 1941.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois