Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 56, North Avenue & East Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



B&W Photos

HB442283

HB442284

HB442285

HB442286

HB442287

HB442288

HB442289

HB442290

HB442291

HB442292

HB442293


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
North Avenue & East Avenue, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-L
Building/structure dates: 1893 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1941 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1961 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1976 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten, stone Greek Revival manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. To the rear of each shop, there was to be a massive stone storehouse of the same architectural style. Only two of these stone storehouses were constructed, and Storehouse K is the sole survivor. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Storehouse K forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Storehouse K is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.

Subjects
Military Art & Science
Armies
War (World War I)


Related Names
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. 3/4 view showing S & E elevations. (Ceronie)
2. 3/4 view showing N & W elevations. (Ceronie)
3. Detail view of former main entrance area, S elevation; looking N. (Ceronie)
4. Detail view of staircase to attic; looking NE. (Ryan)
5. Detail view of columns, second-floor hall; looking WNW. (Ceronie and Harms)
6. General view of attic, showing truss system; looking ENE. (Ceronie)
7. Detail view of truss system at junction of gables (above elevator shaft); looking S. (Ryan)
8. Detail view of attic casement windows and original heating pipes; looking N. (Ceronie and Harms)
9. Detail view of basement column; looking S. (Ceronie)
10. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH AND WEST ELEVATIONS IN UNALTERED CONDITION. DATED APRIL 18, 1941.
11. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. BASEMENT, SHOWING ORIGINAL OPEN INTERIOR PLAN. DATED APRIL 7, 1942.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois