Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 280, Sylvan Drive, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



See 41 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB442369

HB442370

HB442371

HB442372

HB442373

HB442374


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Sylvan Drive, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-O
Building/structure dates: 1873 initial construction
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. These core manufacturing structures were supplemented by a variety of administrative, residential, maintenance, storage, and utility buildings. Although only a few buildings were erected prior to Rodman's death in 1871, subsequent construction under Rodman's nineteenth-century successors closely conforms to the original plan. Forming a cohesive architectural statement that is unique among Midwest government installations, the Rodman plan buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line, nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Situated in an isolated area on the southwestern shore of the island, the Magazine was constructed under the general scope of the Rodman plan in 1872-1873. Although Rodman's successor, Colonel Daniel Webster Flagler, had plans to erect several other magazines at the arsenal, this structure was the only one built during the nineteenth century. It is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.

Subjects
Armies
War (World War I)
War (World War II)


Related Names
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. S & E elevations; looking NW. (Harms)
2. N & W elevations; looking SE. (Ceronie)
3. General interior view; looking N. (Ceronie)
4. Detail view of window; looking N. (Ceronie)
5. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. WEST ELEVATION IN UNALTERED CONDITION. ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED 1898.
6. photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. ELEVATIONS AND PLANS FOR POWDER BARREL RACK, 1889.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois