Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 251, Gillespie Avenue & Ramsey Street, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Gillespie Avenue & Ramsey Street, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-V
Building/structure dates: 1918 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1945 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: Situated in a manufacturing area southwest of the Greek Revival stone shops on Rodman Avenue, the TNT Building was constructed in 1917-1918 as part of an artillery shell production complex. The building's Gothic Revival design mirrored the architectural detailing of the adjacent Artillery Ammunition Assembly Plant (see HAER No. IL-20U). Part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District, the TNT Building embodied an equal concern for utilitarian and aesthetic considerations that became increasingly rare during subsequent wartime construction programs.
War (World War I)
Westinghouse-Church-Kerr Company Of New York
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. 3/4 view of S & E elvations; looking NW. (Harms)
2. 3/4 view of N & W elevations; looking SE. (Ceronie)
3. Detail view of bridge between buildings 250 & 251 (Ceronie)
4. General interior view; looking W. (Harms)
5. General interior view of W section of building; looking NW. (Ceronie)
6. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office, SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS BEFORE REMODELING OF PARAPET. DATED MARCH 8, 1945.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois