Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 250, Gillespie Avenue between Ramsey Street & South Ave, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Gillespie Avenue between Ramsey Street & South Ave, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-U
Building/structure dates: 1918 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: Situated in a manufacturing area southwest of the Greek Revival stone shops on Rodman Avenue, the Artillery Ammunition Assembling Plant was constructed in 1917-1918 to load howitzer shells. The building's Gothic Revival design provided an architectural model for several neighboring, associated structures completed during the same period. Part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District, the building embodies an equal concern for utilitarian and aesthetic considerations that became increasingly rare during subsequent wartime construction programs.
War (World War I)
Westinghouse-Church-Kerr Company Of New York
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. N elevation; looking SSE. (Ceronie)
2. 3/4 view of E & N elevations; looking SW. (Ceronie)
3. S & E elevations; looking NNW. (Harms)
4. W & S elevations; looking NE. (Ceronie)
5. Detail view of SW corner bay; looking NE. (Ceronie)
6. Detail view of corridor to interior courtyard, W elevation; looking E. (Ceronie)
7. General view of interior courtyard; looking W. (Ceronie)
8. Overall view, first floor; looking W. (Harms)
9. Truss system and clerestory windows; looking S. (Ceronie)
10. Detail view of concrete column, surrounded by original glass and panel wall, third floor; looking N. (Ceronie)
11. Detail view of first-floor NE entry door; looking N. (Harms)
12. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. BIRD'S-EYE RENDERING; LOOKING SW. TNT BUILDING (SEE HAER NO. IL-20V) IS SHOWN AT THE UPPER LEFT, ATTACHED BY OVERHEAD PASSAGEWAYS TO THE BUILDING'S SOUTH ELEVATION. RENDERING PREPARED BY WESTINGHOUSE-CHURCH-KERR COMPANY OF NEW YORK. DATED APRIL 18, 1917.
13. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. EAST AND NORTH ELEVATIONS, SHOWING THAT BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED AS ORIGINALLY PLANNED. DATED MAY 2, 1918.
14. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. CENTER CRANEWAY, SHOWING MACHINING OF BREECH MECHANISM FOR 155MM ARTILLERY GUN. DATED JUNE 12, 1945.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois