Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 220, Rodman Avenue between Flager & Gronen Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Rodman Avenue between Flager & Gronen Streets, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-AA
Building/structure dates: 1918 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1942 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: During and immediately after World War I, the Ordnance Department erected several buildings on Rodman Avenue, just west of the nineteenth-century, Greek Revival stone shops. To maintain the "grand boulevard" appearance of Rodman Avenue, these buildings were designed in a classical revival style. Completed in 1918, the Field and Siege Building was part of this construction program. It is a significant example of military industrial design that expanded the arsenal's manufacturing program while preserving its overall architectural integrity. The Field and Siege Building is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.
War (World War I)
War (World War II)
Stone & Webster Company Of Boston
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. 3/4 view of E & N elevations; looking SW. (Harms)
2. 3/4 view of S & E elevations; looking NW. (Ceronie)
3. S elevation showing open courtyards; looking NNW. (Ceronie)
4. Detail view of E bay, N elevation; looking S. (Harms)
5. Detail view of dedication plaque, E elevation; looking W. (Ceronie)
6. Detail view of original incandescent light fixture, E elevation. (Ceronie)
7. General view of first floor; looking W. (Ceronie)
8. General view of second floor; looking NW. (Ceronie
9. Office area, second floor; looking NE. (Ceronie)
10. Stairs, photographed from fourth floor landing, E wing. (Ceronie)
11. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. WEST AND NORTH ELEVATIONS IN UNALTERED CONDITION. DATED MAY 2, 1918.
12. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. CRANEWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION, LOOKING WEST. DATED MARCH 29, 1918.
13. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. INTERIOR FLAT-SLAB CONSTRUCTION IN UNALTERED CONDITION. DATED AUGUST 23, 1918.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois