Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 139, Second Street between Ramsey Street & South Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



B&W Photos

HB442510

HB442511

HB442512

HB442513

HB442514


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Second Street between Ramsey Street & South Avenue, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-W
Building/structure dates: 1918 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1963 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: The Artillery Wheel Stock Dry Kiln was one of a pair of almost identical buildings erected in 1917-1918 for seasoning lumber used in the arsenal's manufacturing program (see HAER No. IL-20X). The building was designed in a crenelated Gothic Revival style, reflecting the architectural detailing of a large Artillery Ammunition Assembly Plant (see HAER No. IL-20U) constructed a block west during the same period. Part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District, the Artillery Wheel Stock Dry Kiln embodied an equal concern for utilitarian and aesthetic considerations that became increasingly rare during subsequent wartime construction programs.

Subjects
Armies
War (World War I)
War (World War II)


Related Names
Westinghouse-Church-Kerr Company Of New York


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. 3/4 view of N & W elevations, showing relationship to Building 140 at right; looking SE.
2. 3/4 view of E & N elevation; looking SW.
3. General view of central corridor; looking E.
4. Detail view of bays and clerestory windows; looking S.
5. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. EAST AND NORTH ELEVATIONS BEFORE REMOVAL OF STRAP-HINGE DOOR. DATED NOVEMBER 21, 1944.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois