Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 138, Second Avenue between South Avenue & Ramsey Street, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



B&W Photos

HB442340

HB442341

HB442342

HB442343

HB442344

HB442345

HB442346

HB442347

HB442348

HB442349

HB442350


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Second Avenue between South Avenue & Ramsey Street, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-N
Building/structure dates: 1886 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1898 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. These core manufacturing structures were supplemented by a variety of administrative, residential, maintenance, storage, and utility buildings. Although only a few buildings were erected prior to Rodman's death in 1871, subsequent construction under Rodman's nineteenth-century successors closely conformed to the original plan. Forming a cohesive architectural statement that is unique among Midwest government installations, the Rodman plan buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line, nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Constructed in 1886 in a storage area south of the stone manufacturing shops, the Lumber Shed was one of the last buildings erected under the general scope of the Rodman plan. Although considerably less ornate than the Greek Revival manufacturing buildings, its classical style harmonized with the architectural tone of the earlier Rodman plan buildings. The structure is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
Armies
War (World War I)


Related Names
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. 3/4 view showing N & W elevations.
2. Detail view of typical window, N elevation.
3. W elevation, showing doorway & windows,
4. Detail view of window, W elevation.
5. 3/4 view showing W & S elevations.
6. 3/4 view of S & E elevations; looking NW.
7. General interior view; looking W.
8. Detail view of timber truss system.
9. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS BEFORE REMOVAL OF VENTILATORS. ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED 1898.
10. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. INTERIOR, LOOKING WEST. DATED OCTOBER 2, 1945.
11. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. ELEVATION AND DETAILS, UNDATED.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois