Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Illinois

>

Rock Island

>

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 105, South Avenue between Gillespie Avenue & Second Str, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL



B&W Photos

HB442254

HB442255

HB442256

HB442257

HB442258

HB442259

HB442260

HB442261


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
South Avenue between Gillespie Avenue & Second Str, Rock Island, IL

Find maps of Rock Island, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-20-K
Building/structure dates: 1872 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. According to the original plan, each shop was intended to have its own boiler house, but only two such plants were built. The Boiler House for Shop C was the first, completed in 1872. It supplied steam for power and heating throughout the nineteenth century. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop C Boiler House forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop C Boiler House is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.

Subjects
Armies
War (World War I)
War (World War II)


Related Names
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. General view of S elevation, showing chimney and the building's siting in the courtyard of Shop C, Building 104; looking N.
2. 3/4 view of N & W elevations; looking SE.
3. Detail view of chimney base; looking N.
4. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH ELEVATION AFTER ADDITION OF REINFORCED-CONCRETE SECTION WITH CYCLONE SEPARATOR. DATED NOVEMBER 11, 1944.
5. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. PLAN, UNDATED.
6. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. ELEVATIONS, 1871.
7. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. ROOF PLAN, 1871. DELINEATOR: W. OTTO GRONEN.
8. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. PLAN AND SECTION, AUGUST 24, 1874.


Back to Rock Island, Illinois