Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 104, Rodman Avenue between First & Second Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Rodman Avenue between First & Second Streets, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-G
Building/structure dates: 1873 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1981 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1867 to 1873, Shop C was the second to be completed, and the first to be equipped for manufacturing. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop C forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop C is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
War (World War I)
War (World War II)
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. N elevation, main block; looking SSW. (Harms)
2. E elevation, E wing; looking NW. (Ceronie)
3. Detail view of cast iron staircase (NE staircase), E wing; looking SSE. (Ryan)
4. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS DURING FINAL STAGE OF CONSTRUCTION. DATED 1871.
5. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS AFTER ADDITION OF STAIR TOWERS ON SOUTH FACADE. DATED NOVEMBER 1, 1944.
6. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. SECOND FLOOR; WOOD WORKING EQUIPMENT IN CARPENTRY SHOP, ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED 1905.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois