Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 102, Rodman Avenue between Gillespie Avenue & First Str, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Rodman Avenue between Gillespie Avenue & First Str, Rock Island, IL
Find maps of Rock Island, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-20-F
Building/structure dates: 1876 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000057
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1873 to 1876, Shop A was the fifth to be completed. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop A forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. Shop A is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.
War (World War I)
War (World War II)
Rodman, Gen. Thomas Jefferson
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. 3/4 view showing N (front) & W elevations; looking SE. (Ceronie)
2. N front elevation, main block (Building 103 can be seen at the left of the view); looking SSW. (Harms)
3. General view of the S elevation, showing main block courtyard, and E & W wings; looking N. (Ceronie)
4. Detail view of central entry bay, N elevation of main block; looking S. (Harms)
5. Detail view of typical ground level loading doorway, S elevation of E wing; looking N. (Ceronie)
6. General view of NE entry, first floor, showing original paneling; looking SSE. (Ryan)
7. General view of second floor, E wing; looking N. (Ryan)
8. Men's room, second floor of main block, showing original paneling built around a cast-iron column; looking S. (Ryan)
9. Original basement door and freight elevator, E wing; looking WNW. (Ceronie and Harms)
11. Attic, showing original office area in NE corner of main block; looking NE. (Ceronie and Harms)
12. Detail view of typical gable end attic windows, main block; looking N. (Ceronie and Harms)
13. Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. NORTH ELEVATION IN UNALTERED CONDITION. TAKEN ABOUT 1907.
14. Photograph of line drawing in possession of Engineering Plans and Services Division, Rock Island Arsenal. ELEVATIONS AND SECTIONS OF CAST IRON COLUMNS, UNDATED.
Back to Rock Island, Illinois