Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

Paxton

>

Paxton Water Tower, Centre & Market Streets, Paxton, Ford County, IL



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Centre & Market Streets, Paxton, IL

Find maps of Paxton, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IL-1121
0.1983
Significance: The Paxton Water Tower was built in 1887. The tower and attached pumphouse were erected to increase water pressure in the mains, laid a few years earlier. The Mayor of Paxton, J. P. Middlecoff, contracted with Fairbanks, Morse, and Company of Chicago to build the Tower for $6,000 ($8,000 in bonds). The 80-foot high octagonal brick tower and four interior 12 x 12 inch timber columns supported an 18-foot high round wooden tank with conical roof, which had a capacity of 60,000 gallons. During the mid-1940's the tank was removed. Lancet windows with double row-lock moldings and corbeled brick courses at the top of the tower provide both decorative and functional details.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Paxton, Illinois