Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

Paxton

>

Middlecoff-Baier House, 440 East Pells Street, Paxton, Ford County, IL



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
440 East Pells Street, Paxton, IL

Find maps of Paxton, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IL-1120
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-153).
0.1983
Significance: This Queen Anne style residence was built between 1890-1891 by J. P. Middlecroft for his daughter Addie. Reynolds and Newlin were the contractors. Born in Richmond, Indiana in 1835, Middlecroft moved to Illinois in 1857 and became prominent in both the political and business circles of Paxton. He served four terms as Township Supervisor and twice as Chairman of the County Board. He was also elected Mayor of Paxton in 1887 and again in 1894, and became an Illinois State Representative in 1872. Later, as the Republican leader in Illinois, he served as a Delegate to the Republican National Convention. He founded the Paxton and Brick Tile Company in 1881, the Paxton Canning Company in 1888, and built the Middlecroft Hotel in 1895. In the late 1880's Middlecroft and his wife purchased the house site from Susan Ludlow who was a relative. Plans had been drawn and construction begun by the fall of 1890. Their daughter, Addie, died in February 1891 before the house was completed. The house is red brick with blue slate shingles covering the roof and gables. The wood trim was originally painted a dark green. A cast and wrought iron fence encloses the property. The porte cochere on the west side of the house was a later addition.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Paxton, Illinois